Trigger Point Therapy
Ascension Wellness offers trigger point therapy as a wonderful massage modality for treating chronic pain.
How does trigger point therapy help?
Trigger point therapy is used to relieve muscular pain and dysfunction though applied pressure to trigger points. A trigger point occurs when muscle fibers become impaired. As a result of the trigger point, increased tension develops and the muscle itself becomes a taut, tense band with easily irritated, painful knots, or trigger points, along its length. The muscle has lost its ability to relax and this can result in pain. It is called a trigger point because it "triggers" a painful response.
But a trigger point is more than a tender area. It affects not only the muscle where the trigger point is located, but also causes referred pain. For example, a trigger point in the trapezius muscle, which is located at the top of the shoulder, can cause referred pain in the muscles of the jaw and neck/head area. Sometimes, a key trigger point might go unnoticed because most of the pain is felt in referred areas. When the trigger point is treated successfully, the symptoms in the referred areas will go away as well.
What to expect:
- It is used to treat painful trigger points that cause referred pain.
- During treatment, trigger points will be located and deactivated using static finger pressure or massage cupping directly on the trigger point.
- It took a while to get the muscle in that condition, and it will likely take more than one massage to get rid of it.
- In this type of massage for trigger point therapy, communication with the massage therapist is vital. By helping identify the precise location and intensity of the discomfort, the massage therapist can be sure to spend the appropriate amount of time and pressure to most effectively release the trigger point.
- The recipient actively participates through deep breathing as well.
- These points are often areas of chronic holding and you need to learn how to move in different ways to keep them from recurring
What conditions can trigger point therapy help?
Trigger point therapy can be used to treat many issues including:
- Jaw and facial pain
- Sciatica-like pain
- Postural issues
- Neck and back pain
- Carpal tunnel-like pain
- And more